Destin uses a range of equipment from various manufacturers. Whilst he prefers the natural look and feel that film produces he has been known to occasionally use digital where required.
Destin is not biased towards Canon, Nikon or Fuji and can appreciate each of their strengths. He prefers Gitzo Tripods and Lee Neutral Density filters. Destin does not use colour filters of any kind.
- Fuji GX617 ‘Ferdinand’
- Canon EOS 5D MKII ‘Macgyver’
- Fujinon EBC SWD 90mm 5.6
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM
Growing up, Destin Sparks was no academic genius. He was neither a Beethoven nor a Beckham. If you had asked him what he wanted to be, he wouldn’t have had even the slightest answer for you.
So, how does a youngster with no direction end up becoming an award-winning landscape photographer? It all started with a random gig that happened to land him in a camera shop. Even though Destin worked as a Graphic Designer surrounded by cameras for three years, he never felt even a hint of interest in photography, much less did he own a camera.
It was not until an uncanny bet with a colleague that Destin’s talent was accidentally discovered - sheer serendipity as it were.
In a bid to prove Destin’s creative ability was a farce, a challenge was set – Destin was a novice at best and he was sure to fail. Some claim the wager is nothing more than an urban legend, only a select few know otherwise. Allegedly the camera came alive in his hands; although a foreign object to his fingertips, something just clicked… and Destin saw the light. He fired off a single shot, and an artistic genius had been born. The rest is rust and stardust.
His childhood fascination with lights and colour fueled his passion. After 20 years, he finally discovered the most inspiring light of all – sunrise. The sun had finally risen on the one photographer who can truly capture its beauty.
Now an international multi award-winning landscape photographer, Destin is simply on fire. His talent and passion have fused to create unique, breathtaking, and unprecedented photographs. And he does so without Photoshop, without alteration, and without manipulation.
How does he do this? What could possibly be his trick? Surely it’s the latest state-of-the-art digital camera – nothing else could capture such eloquent beauty. Nope, not so. Destin uses traditional transparency film and a 30-year-old style of camera he calls ‘Ferdinand’ – as in Magellan.
Now Destin travels rocky terrain, crosses rivers, treks over mountain passes, and traverses beneath forest canopies to bring to the world the beauty of nature as he sees it.
Finally, people can see the world through the eyes of Destin … and it’s beautiful!
2012 International Loupe Awards
- The Journey - Silver
- Naturality – Bronze
- The Soloist - Bronze
- Iridescent Array - Bronze
- Eternal Flame - Bronze
- Sky Fury - Bronze (Not Published)
- Morning Glory - Bronze
- From When they Came - Bronze
- Apricity - Bronze
- Endlessness - Bronze
- Serendipity - Bronze
- Lush (Not Published)
- Simplity (Not Published)
2012 EPSON International Pano Awards
- Veni Vidi Vici – Bronze
- Renascentia – Bronze
- Lux Aeterna – Bronze
- Twenty Two Floors above Brisbane – Bronze
- Velvet Transposure – Bronze
- Splendour – Bronze
- Heaven’s Glow – Bronze
- Fire on the Horizon – Bronze
- Esperanza – Bronze
- Serenity – Bronze
- Light Impressions – Bronze
- Naturality – Bronze
2012 CREATIVE ASIA AWARDS
- Endlessness – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Fire on the Horizon – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Harmonious Light – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Heaven's Glow – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Iridescent Array – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Lux Aeterna – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Naturality – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Renascentia – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Esperanza – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Serendipity – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
- Velvet Transposure – Creative Asia Award 2012 (Bronze)
2012 INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
- Apricity – IPA Honorable Mention
- Naturality - IPA Honorable Mention
- Golden Susurration - IPA Honorable Mention